Monday 7 October 2013

Reality versus The Mind and death to useless paintings. Untitled, Oct 7th 2013. Acrylics on canvas, 39.5 cm x 39.5 cm

There is sometimes a moment when attempting to commit an idea to canvas when the collision between the mind and reality only lets one of these contenders come out alive. This work was initially different in my mind. I looked forward to destroy an old painting that I couldn't stand anymore with a strong, black and white composition. "Reality" (the old painting) was to be replaced by "The Mind" (the new idea). The destruction of the old painting was granted me, alas, the "New Idea" was just too weak when it hit the canvas. It looked studied, formulaic and predictable. Disorientated I kept on rowing with black and white, in an attempt to negotiate with the resisting canvas. Finally we reached a compromise that left me in no doubt that it was a "draw" (pardon the pun). Simpler, prouder, it still communicated defiance to me. I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment