Tuesday 15 October 2013

Solids. Black, white and grey, October 2013. Acrylics on canvas, 45.5 cm x 59.5 cm

Pushing white and black around the canvas and trying to make them agree was the task here. Rather than movement I worked towards stillness. Weight. I wanted a heavy statement, open to consideration. Secure, ominous, threatening, reassuring, loyal, those attributes needed pruning away. I was looking for a balance, a state independent of all such association, yet also not exclusive of them. As I had worked for a while the grey appeared as a pollution, making difficult the maintenance of light that was necessary for harmony. I let some of the "smoky" grey stay, once I started neatening up the shape with the void-ful white. A particular task was to straighten the lines by eye-measure alone. This lengthy process gave added weight to the final block.

No comments:

Post a Comment